[C320-list] Stiff rudder turning

Kim Chapman capnkim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 08:13:54 PDT 2024

Our 320 is relatively new to us. I always thought the steering was a bit
stiff, especially closer to the rudder limits. This year it seems even
stiffer. I have ruled out the wheel auto pilot. A basic inspection doesn't
show anything out of place. I do notice a very slight side-ways movement at
the top of the rudder stock (where the emergency tiller goes). This would
indicate a little wear on the top bearing but this should not add stiffness
to the system.

I'm inclined to disconnect the rudder cables and then move the rudder with
the emergency tiller. This would tell me if the stiffness is in the rudder
stock or the cable system.

Thoughts please...

Kim Chapman
C320 #416