[C320-list] Mid ship cleats

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Fri Jun 14 08:28:34 PDT 2024

Remember that mid-ship cleats often are used for spring lines. This means it generally will not have huge loads on it. Thus, a cleat on the jib track will not produce nearly the load that a jib in strong winds will do.

I singlehand a lot when it's too hot to take trips. I use the mid-ship cleat to secure the boat when first coming into the slip. It is positioned so the boat can't slam into the forward concrete dock and to keep the boat more or less inside the slip while I tie up the bow and stern lines.

We use a similar tactic when we use a side-tie dock. A line from the mid-ship cleat to a piling or dock cleat will hold the boat generally in place so we don't have to panic while securing other lines.

Jack Brennan
1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.