[C320-list] Jib size

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Fri Mar 1 07:39:47 PST 2024

I sail in light-air Florida, and my 130 is just fine.

The main advantage of a smaller jib is the shape when you reef it on roller furling. With a 130, you can roll it to a 90 or 100 and still maintain some shape for pointing. With a 150, you might start losing shape at 120.

I got this advice many years ago from a lifelong bluewater sailor, and it seems to hold up.

I think maintaining a clean bottom and paying attention to how you set your sails is probably just as important as sail size.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.