[C320-list] Advice for Channel Islands State Park

DONALD LAWSON dnclaws at aol.com
Sun May 12 18:50:20 PDT 2024

Jeff
	I am a past member of Ventura Yacht Club, I  have sailed the Channel Islands off and on for 30 years. When we were not cruising the CI we were racing around them. I have seen enough of the backside of Anacapa to last me a lifetime.
	Smugglers as first drop, as mentioned by Mike P, is as good as it gets. Sand bottom.  Favorite of fishermen. Look for the olive orchard.  Bad landing.  Would not recommend it.
	The southern end of Santa Cruz, from the pier at Prisoners south, is National Park and no permit required.
	 On the way to Prisoners is Little Scorpion and Scorpion.  Scorpion is the jump off point for hikers in the Park and the stop for hikers/campers coming over with Island Packers.  Best is little Scorpion behind the rocks.  Dinghy to  Scorpion.
	Any land north Prisoners and the pier is Conservancy owned and permit is required. If you have a permit you can walk to  the Stanton Ranch or hike from prisoners to Pelican Harbor around the corner.  I prefer Prisoners as it is less crowded but not as protected. However the ellgrass can make for a night watch if the wind comes up. Sometimes all that is holding you is the anchor in the ellgrass.  Good to have a big anchor.
	Anchorages up the coast are as Mike P stated.  Bow and Stern. Note that East side anchorages are a favorite of both Santa Barbara and Ventura harbors.  Frys and Pelican fill up fast on Fridays. Painted cave should be done early
	In the other direction, west side, is Coches and Alberts.  Nice beach at Coches. Conservancy land.  Pay attention to the cruising guide as to where to anchor. There is a reef at Coches that will saw your bow line through.  At the West end is Forny’s, a favorite in good weather.  Well protected from Sea but not wind.
	We carried the next size up Delta with 75ft of chain, 250  ft nylon for bow. I was younger and only used the windlass for the last 30 ft of chain and anchor. I carried a LARGE. Danforth and 60 ft chain with 250 ft of rode for the stern.  I had to leave a bow anchor behind in Pelican once.  It was nice knowing I had another bow anchor available in an emergency.   I no longer own the boat so I can not check sizes for you. Have the cruising guide available and read and be mindful of the weather.  We   powered over to San Miguel one day, blowing 40 next morning. No weather warning.  I preferred to be over spec’d for ground tackle.  I would have liked to  have had all chain, but 200 ft of chain in  the bow is to much.
Don L.