[C320-list] Perkins heat exchanger

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 10:25:30 PDT 2024

Dan, I will echo what Steve just said.  If you have the tank off, carefully
inspect for any holes between exhaust path and coolant tank.

I am way behind on reporting on my smoke issue from March of this year, but
it turned out to be a broken exhaust valve.  I will post a complete report
on that soon but one thing that did show up was a carboned up exhaust path
where the tank connects to the exhaust hose.  As my mechanic was gingerly
trying to clean it up, he found a hole between the exhaust manifold and
coolant tank sections.  At this point, the cast iron tank became a small
anchor and a replacement would be needed.

Hopefully, you do not have this problem since new tanks seem to be no
longer available from Perkins or others.  Fortunately, I found a NOS one in
England from Marine Enterprises (https://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/).
Jonathan Staple there was incredibly helpful.  I did look at others on ebay
but all were second hand.  In any case, they do not give these things away.

I also used the threaded rod trick as described by Steve to clean out my
heat exchanger tubes.  But really, all my tubes were incredibly clean as is.

Best wishes,

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206