[C320-list] Helene

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Sun Sep 29 11:28:01 PDT 2024

It's a great question, and I don't know the answer.

My slip has aft pilings about 8 feet above normal tide. The lines are secured near the top.

But forward, the lines are secured to cleats on the dock, which is a couple of feet higher than average tide.

I also have spring lines tied from a pier about a foot lower than the dock.

I know from photos that my stern lines held. I expect that one or more of the other lines broke. The key is to have so many lines that some hold.

I half expect to find some dock rash and, like Diane, more damage to the striping.

I think the lesson for Florida is to find a hurricane hole like St. Pete or Gulfport and not worry about the cost. I had a free dock at my complex, but my boat would be sunk right now.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 220
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone