[C320-list] Shaft Bearings and Folding Prop Installation. Update on Shaft Noise Issue.

Ian Neale kiwineales at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 17:03:50 PDT 2024

Hi,

Further to earlier emails regarding shaft noise I have an update.

The rotational noice was caused by calcification on the shaft that formed alone the groves of the cutlass bearing while boat was berthed over the winter, after cleaning the calcification off the shaft the noise was gone.  Lesson learned, make sure when you run the engine over the winter to put transmission in drive to spin the shaft and stop calcification build up.

In the process of diagnosing this issue we also found that the prop was a little loose and had slightly slogged out the internal taper of the prop as well putting a slight groove on the wider end of the shaft taper.

After much deliberation I have decided to install a Flexofold prop and hopefully be able to reuse the shaft by getting the shaft taper machined.  As part of the instal process the Marina yard has suggested that I install a bearing in the fibreglass tube immediately behind my dripless seal.

I am unaware if the shaft only runs in the cutlass bearing or if Catalina already have a second bearing between the cutlass bearing and the flange coupling, does anyone have any insight on this?  If Catalina don't use a bearing is this area, has anyone installed a second shaft bearing in this area?

The Yard has also suggested using a flexible coupling rather than the flange arrangement, has anyone done this and if so was it satisfactory?  If you did do this did you also install the second shaft bearing as outlined above?

Finally, has anyone used the Flexofold prop?

Thanks in advance, Ian Neale.

Solutions, #1122.