[C320-list] Thanks to the List

Walter burnett selkie2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 08:09:35 PST 2005

Roger,

  If you want a smaller sister to the C320 with very similar and familiar performance characteristics, take a very hard look at the Catalina 270.  We moved up to the 320 from C270 hull #97 (wing keel) precisely because we loved the 270 so much and the 320 was a larger clone. We just needed a little more room and waterline length as we moved into more extended coastal cruising.

  The sailing characteristics are very similar and the layout is identical, although a few inches smaller in all dimensions. I have also heard of 270s that were set up for trailering, if that is a consideration. Good luck.

  Walter
  Selkie #887
  formerly Rammin' Speed C270 #97.

Roger Hare <rogerhare at alltel.net> wrote:

As some of you may remember, we decided to put our 320 up for sale after our
lake lost the equipment to easily handle her. When our marina lost its
large hydraulic trailer we had to have a transporter come in from 80 or so
miles away to transport Synchronicity from her winter storage to the launch
area, about 1 mile, at a hefty cost. We also found our life style changing
with less time available for sailing. We moved her to Lake Ontario last
fall, but the hour and a half commute was just not for us. Bottom line is
that we just closed on her sale.

Now, we are looking at smaller boats more easily maintained on our lake
(Skaneateles -- one of the landlocked Finger Lakes in Upstate NY). We need
to keep displacement under 10,000 pounds, and width of cradle 69" maximum.
Of course, we are spoiled because we loved our 6 years with Synchronicity,
her looks and sailing characteristics. She was one of the few things we
have owned which always lived up to and continued to exceed our
expectations. We would love to find something within our specs similar to
the 320 in characteristics.

I think many of you have moved up from smaller boats, so I look forward to
suggestions, comments, etc. We are currently looking at a Tartan Piper 28.
Nice looking boat, well cared for. We are also contemplating looking at an
Island Packet 27, but are leaning toward the Tartan. Does anyone have any
experience they would like to share with these boats or others which you
think may fit our needs?

As I have perused some other owner lists, I have come to even more
appreciate the activity and knowledge presented in the C320 list as well as
the incredible work Jeff Hare has done with the website.

I plan to continue to view this list (I hope ok for an x-owner) because it
has been so helpful over the years.

Again, thanks to all participants. Happy holidays to all.

Roger E. Hare
X of C320, #592, Synchronicity
Skaneateles, NY