[C320-list] Mainsail Reefing Lines

Quentin Murphy qmurphy at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 28 18:03:06 PST 2005

I purchased my C320 this September (Hull #667 Yr 2000) and noticed the
mainsail can only be reefed once.  My last boat (CS-30) could be triple
reefed. My 1st reef uses two lines that are led aft to the cockpit.  In case
other boats are rigged differently, mine has the following lines led aft:
main, jib and cruising spinnaker halyards, 2 lines for the 1st reef,
boomvang  and the mainsheets.  There are 3 sheet stoppers on either side of
the companionway on the cabin top plus a jamb cleat for each of the
mainsheet lines.  I'm thinking of adding at least a 2nd reef and possibly a
3rd plus I would like to lead the main outhaul line back as well.  Has
anyone added more reefs or converted the existing 1st reefing system so it
uses only one line so the other line is freed?  Has anyone added more
cabin-top blocks and sheet stoppers?  Is there the provision through the
boom for the extra lines?  Can more tie-on points be added to the underside
of the boom?

Quentin Murphy
Whit's End C320 #667
Toronto - Lake Ontario