[C320-list] Suggestion about the compass assembly.

Richard A. Walker dickwalker at att.net
Fri Nov 11 09:39:55 PST 2005

Suggestion about the compass assembly.

1. Mark with masking tape the alignment of the unit before disassembly, I
used 3 pieces of masking tape. With a knife slit the tape at the bottom of
the ss compass bracket and if installed the binnacle support assembly.
2. Remove 2 screws and lift out the lights.  They are on a long pigtail,
perhaps 1 foot, that is curled around them compass bottom.
3. You can then lift off the ss compass platform.  You will then see a black
plate with 4 bolts.  The bolts hold the entire thing together.  You must
remove all 4 to lubricate the chain. Be careful at this step since the
entire thing is loose and will move about. DO NOT get the oil on the wheel
brake.
4. At this point you may also want to check the fittings in the aft berth
and oil them.
5. Upon replacement of the bolts you should use a generous amount of a
corrosion inhibitor perhaps Lancote.   This will stop the bolts sizing into
the bracket.
6. While you are at it be sire to adjust the throttle tension set screw.
7. Carefully reassemble and as a final check make sure the lights work.

Cheers,

Dick Walker
C-320 (687) WindWalker II
740 Olive Ave.