[C320-list] Re: [c320] The SailNet Email Lists are back on line!

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 20:03:43 PST 2005

I'll chime in with Len and Allan re: "very well said, Richard".

  Here is a thought.  OK it stems from my being in the Engineering field (albeit software) .  In Engineering, one of the first questions is 'what problem are we trying to solve?'.  Engineers in my experience and myself included, have a hair trigger for jumping into brainstorming possible solutions.  It's what we love to do.  There is a standing joke around my company when someone comes up with an idea with no apparent use that "it is a solution looking for a problem".  You'd be surprised how often this comes up in real life work situations.  Folks jump in with both feet trying to figure out how to fix something.  Sometimes the right thing to do is to step back and ask if something is broken.

  Any organization has a rubber-stamp goal of increasing its membership.  Fine.  I've been a member of our association for the five years I've owned my boat.  In that time, it's come up often that we should increase our membership.  So far so good.  Sending out appeals, extoling the virtues of membership and support, touting Mainsheet and touting the annual regattas/meetings (3 of which I've attended and totally enjoyed!!).  I'm totally fine with that.  But at the end of the day and the end of each year, if our membership stays fixed, so what?  Is there a problem?  Please think about it.

  Each annual meeting I've been to, the treasurer's report has indicated that we are flush with cash as an organization.  That's great.  It gives us huge flexibility, indicates we are healthy, allows us to do things we want to do without worry.  Within the last 18 months or so on Jeff Hare's recommendation, we switched our website to a commercial provider for a measily $90/year.  Financial health ensures we can easily do this sort of thing and that we can sponsor the annual regatta/meeting each year which so many of us enjoy so much, and it allows us to explore pretty much anything else we'd like to consider.

  On paper it sounds great to "increase membership".  It's kind of embarrasing that well over 1000 boats have been built and our membership is fairly fixed.  I don't recall the numbers offhand but I think it is in the range of a few hundred.  So say 200 of 1000 isn't a high percentage, to pick a number.  But so what?

  My bottom line is that to start denying services to non-members is a major change of direction from our past.  Several folks have chimed in that there are significant downsides to this and I agree with them.  So before we start this change of direction and denial of service and incur its negative effects, I ask "what problem are we trying to solve by doing this?".  I submit that we don't have a problem that needs solving.  So we shouldn't start messing with things to fix this non-problem.  The organization is healthy as is.  We have good funding, excellent cash reserves, a bunch of committed, active, dues-paying members, a great set of committed volunteer leaders.  Tell me again the problem?

  Is our problem that the percentage of owners who are members is not "high enough"?  Why does that constitute something which needs fixing?  Sure we have a goal to increase membership.  I'm for that.  But changing things to fix this is a mistake IMHO.

  Having said all of the above, "you better betcha" that if our membership numbers start to fall off and/or if our funding starts to dry up, then it's an immediately different situation which does need action to address.

  Just like RichardG and others, I joined because it is the right thing to do in my particular view of the world.  I want to keep the association healthy on principle and because it's good for the 320 line. I was a member of USYRU (aka USSA) for 15 years and never raced a minute during that time. I just joined because it was good for sailing.  We all spend a ton of $$ on magazines and a bigger ton of $$ on boat stuff.  I honestly don't think that as an association we need to do anything to provide value for people's membership.  Joiners will join, non-joiners will not.  It's only folks on the fence for whom increasing value of membership will affect our membership #'s.  I'd bet that signing up ALL of those folks wouldn't change our membership numbers enough to justify the change of direction needed to get them to sign up.  That's just my hunch - there is no data behind that guess.  It may turn out that on average 20% of people buying a 320 will join on principle.  If that is true,
 then we'll have our 20% year after year reliably without lifting a finger.  If we keep lists & websites open so that the buyers form a steady stream then we have a steady influx and we're fine year after year.

  My $.02

   -bill
   Bill Culbertson
   Harmony #859

Richard Grunt <RFGrunt at comcast.net> wrote:
  I have owned my 320 since 1998, and prior a catalina 27 since 1987. In general I am not a joiner, and the regattas aren't exactly my cup of tea ( I did enjoy meeting many other members 3 years ago in Baltimore the only annual meeting I have ever attended) but I wouldn't think of not renewing my membership in the association. I appreciate the fact that we have a group, with officers, who keep things running, and a webmaster who has invested a lot of time and effort on a volunteer basis to get our own list up and running. Without an association this will all die. A very important point is that the value of our boats is greatly increased by the catalina organizations. They provide catalina owners a resource that other boaters don't necessarily have, and this in turn helps to maintain re-sale value - not that I plan to sell any time soon. The lists and probably the web site should probably remain open and free. However, those of us who use theses regularly should willingly chip in - I
 mean $24 for the list and the mainsheet and the meetings, and the commaradarie - its a bargain, and I feel the least I can do to contribute to the effort. Its not going to keep happening without some support. I would certainly rather support our own organization as long as we have members willing to put in the time, than a commercial operation that may or may not be there tomorrow. So any of you who are regular users of the list and don't contribute should do so because it is the right thing to do, and in the end we all benefit, whether or not we take advantage of every activity offered. I am posting this to both the sailnet and c320.org lists since there have been so many posts to both lists on this subject, but I intend to use the organization list going forward.

Richard Grunt
514