[C320-list] Starting Battery

T. Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Fri Nov 25 09:17:59 PST 2005

Some potential downsides that come to mind:

(1)  storage.  Where to put it?  One more thing cluttering the boat.

(2)  How do you know it is charged well enough and reliable if you
aren't using it regularly?

(3)  Less self sufficiency while afloat.  Suppose you need to use it
while out cruising, say because of a failure of your main battery bank.
Will it start the boat all the times you need to get back to an AC source?

(4)  One more thing to lug between the boat and home if (like me) the
boat lives on a mooring and not in a slip with AC.

(5)  Are these things as reliable as a dedicated battery in cold
weather?  My experience with automobiles says the answer is no.  I've
had the experience of not being able to start a car with one of these,
even at full charge, but then successfully starting the same car a few
minutes later using conventional jumper cables to a regular auto
battery.  That experience admittedly was in really cold weather with
borrowed units that perhaps weren't as good as the ones you have in mind.