[C320-list] Mainsail Reefing Lines

David Gleason djgleason1 at juno.com
Mon Nov 28 20:52:16 PST 2005

Quentin;

I agree, it sounds like the previous owner made several modifications.
Our 1994, #150 had a single reef line for the one reef supplied by
Catalina.  It was lead back to the cockpit.  I added a second reef and
lead it back to the cockpit also.  I did contact Garhauer for a single
sheet stopper to add to the trippel that was there.  There are three (I
think) 1/4" bolts that hold the stoppers together.  I purchased
replacement bolts from a local supplier and added the 4th stopper to the
set.  There is an aluminium plate imbedded in the fiberglass under the
stoppers.  I drilled and tapped this plate and secured the 4th stopper.

I have terminated the cruising spinnaker halyard at the mast, as I use a
sock and it is easier for me to hoist the spinnaker and then raise the
sock from the fordeck.

I have a single mainsheet line.  If the boat is used for cruising only, I
see no advantage to the double main sheet arrangement.  All it does is
clutter up the cockpit with additional lines.

If you convert the double line reefing system to a single line this will
free up one stopper.  Changing the double main sheet to a single will
free up one of your jamb cleats.

You asked about adding blocks to the cabin top.  What purpose do you
intend for these?  It is possible to add blocks to the mast step if you
wish to run more lines back to the cockpit.  If you terminate the
spinnaker halyard at the mast, this will free up one of the blocks.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150