[C320-list] Folding Prop

Charles Greenwell CGreenwell at sparusa.com
Mon Apr 10 09:12:04 PDT 2006

Well, its that time of year again.  I researched and read every thing I could find on folding/feathering props on our list servers.  I settled on the Flex-O-Fold 3 bladed folding prop.

Why? Primarily do to price versus reward.  The cost was $1400.  I paid a professional to install because I could not get the old 3 bladed off, I needed a prop puller.

For those who are in the process of trying this now, one suggestion; plan on replacing your cutlass bearing at the same time if it is more than 6 years old.  The new prop is quite heavy and you already have the prop removed.  My bearing had a little slop in it and the installer suggested the replacement, while failure was not immanent, better safe than sorry.

Particulars:

C320 - #719  Model Year 2000 (actually manufactured in November 1999)
Yanmar 3GM30
2:21 transmission ratio
1 inch bronze shaft
New Prop – 15 x 9

I splash the boat tomorrow and will let you know how it worked out.

Randy