[C320-list] FW: Battery Equalization

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Fri Apr 14 18:10:11 PDT 2006

Jeff,

Your 12.7 vDC reading sounds good, but you want to know the health of each cell. I would start by measuring the specific gravity of each cell of each battery. Make sure you flush battery fluid in and out of the hydrometer so you get good mixture and get the hydrometer up to the fluid's temperature.

>From what I've read, the difference between any 2 cells in the same battery should not exceed 0.030 If it does, you are a candidate for equilization.

I'm told equilization is more of a benefit for true deep cycle batteries... what we have in our C320's are more of a hybrid starting/deep cycle battery.

 In a typical equalization cycle, the battery voltage is allowed to rise to approximately 16 volts, where it is maintained for up to eight hours by adjustment of the charging current.  This process helps to mix up the electrolyte, which otherwise tends to "stratify" (i.e., separate into overlappying layers of acid and water), and is also useful in removing some sulfate deposits.  When performed properly, equalization doesn't make the battery boil over, but does produce fairly vigorous bubbling. At the end of this cycle, you can expect to add some water.

 Most battery manufacturers consider one equalization charge per month

 to be appropriate for batteries that are in a continuous state of charge and discharge;  less often is adequate for batteries that see a lot of standby service.  Due to the generation of considerable gas that accompanies this process, equalization shoud NEVER be performed on a sealed or gel-cell battery.

 Also, most 12-volt DC appliances will not tolerate the 16-plus volts,

 so remember to disconnect everything or detach the battery cables before you equalize.

Here is a helpful website:

http://www.marine-electronics.net/techarticle/battery_faq/b_faq.htm#6

Don't know about the features of the Flyback 20-3.

Let us know how you make out!!

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC