[C320-list] FW: Re: Engine AntiFreeze

Wed Apr 19 09:37:22 PDT 2006

Steve,

Here's what I do (actually have a local Perkins certified guy do it) each
year to cuba libre 2 (for better or for worse) since I purchased it new in
1994:

Change oil
Change tranny oil
Change coolant
New impeller
Clean injectors
Torque head bolts
Torque keel bolts
New oil filter
New fuel filter
New Racor filter
Align engine/prop shaft

As for the environmental question, I pay a disposal fee so I'm assuming
that it all goes to ethylene glycol heaven.....as for the conservation
part, I recycle, don't throw cans or bottles overboard, always snip those
plastic 6-pack can holders and also eat only dolphin-safe tuna! :)

cuba libre 2

             Steve Magennis
             <magenns at yahoo.c
             om>                                                       To
             Sent by:                 C320-List
             C320-List-bounce         <C320-List at catalina320.com>
             s at catalina320.or                                          cc
                                                                  Subject
                                      Re: [C320-list] FW: Re:  Engine
             04/19/2006 06:08         AntiFreeze
             AM

              Please respond
                C320-List
             <C320-List at catal
               ina320.org>

Orlando:

Why would you replace the antifreeze every year?  All of the typical
automotive antifreezes (even the old green stuff) are good for several
years.  I just attended a seminar given by Gordie Torresen (the guru of
boat diesels in the midwest), and he indicated that the green stuff is
probably good for 5 years, and the only reason to change it is that the
inhibitors wear out, not that the antifreeze / heat removal capability
is gone.

Replacing your antifreeze yearly is a poor idea for several reasons,
not the least of which is that ethylene glycol is very toxic and you
need to safely dispose of this hazardous waste five times as often as
necessary.  After all, as sailors we are supposed to be
conservationists!

Steve
Alchemist C-320 #909