[C320-list] More GFO

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 07:35:35 PDT 2006

Thanks for bringing this up Herb.  I think that the upshot of the 1/4" vs 3/16" discussion is that it's a good idea to measure your particular stuffing box (packing gland).  It seems that despite what the owners manual says (3/16") some of us have packing glands with 1/4".

  The best tip I heard on this list for how to measure is to use a drill bit carefully inserted between the shaft and the open packing gland.  Don't scratch anything.  If a 1/4" drill bit fits, you should use 1/4" GFO.  If that bit is too big to fit, try a 3/16" bit.  Presumably that will fit b/c no one on this list has reported anything other than these two values.

  My 320 started with 1/4" from the dealer (flax packing).  It leaked 1st season, so I followed the manual and replaced the next year with 3 rings of 3/16" staggered.  That was just as bad or worse.  When I took that packing out at season end to replace yet again, I noticed that the cross section of the packing was now rectangular instead of square.  One edge was about 1/4" and the other was considerably less than 3/16".  I used the green goo the following season.  It was ok but messy & expensive.  The next season I went with 1/4" GFO and it's been fine for 2 seasons untouched.  I will probably leave it in place this year as well.

   -bill
   Harmony #859

hcreech at comcast.net wrote:
  When I bought my GFO there was a debate about size 1/4" or 3/16". I originally purchased 1/4" then someone on the list pointed out that 1/4" leaked and he went with 3/16". I returned the 1/4" and had it replaced with 3/16". When I installed it, (much easier than I thought), I used 3 strips staggering the joints when installed. The 3/16" fit perfectly. I hand tightened then slight snug with wrench. No drips, no heat.
Herb Creech
Cloud Chaser #606