[C320-list] GFO and Leather Kits for Helms

T. Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sat Apr 22 08:35:30 PDT 2006

OK, I'll use this as an opportunity to ask a question about the GFO. I
installed this on Surprise last year. Two rings of 1/4" seemed to fit.
There did not appear to be sufficient threads left on the nut for a
third ring. The packing has been drip free and running cool so far,
although I hardly did any motoring last year since we never made it out
for anything longer than a day sail. So I'm guessing that I have less
than 20 hours on the packing so far. However, I've noticed that there is
blackish debris around the packing nut and in the stern compartment
around the shaft that seems to be coming from the packing. Did I likely
install it wrong? Have others seen this? Is any remedy needed? Splashing
in early May (late this year) and so any advice on this would be
appreciated.

By the way, while GFO is made by Gore it's clearly not just pure
Goretex. There is a soft, blackish material in there too that seems to
be some kind of carbon material. That's what's leaking out of mine, I
think. This is probably the material that is responsible for the high
heat dissipation properties of this packing, which is in turn
responsible for the ability to run with no water drip for lubrication.
In short, if all of the black stuff squeezes out, it could be a problem.