[C320-list] Starting Battery

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Wed Apr 26 09:16:19 PDT 2006

Quenton,
   Because your #667 is so close to my previous #656 I would think your
boat came with a BLACK Perko battery switch on the starboard wall as
mine did and was factory wired to start in any of the three positions.
Since you refer to a RED battery switch and it doesn't work the same my
guess would be that the previous owner changed things around.
   Check under the starboard settee to see if a separate starter
battery was placed forward of the 2 standard 4d's. That's where I and
many others put them.
Stan
(formerly) Christy Leigh
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> qmurphy at sympatico.ca 4/26/2006 11:52 AM >>>
I tried to start my engine when the big red battery switch was on
position
"One" and not even the blower or buzzer would run.  When I used
position
"Two" or "Both" the engine would start.  One of my batteries (forward
one)
is marked as "engine".  Both my batteries show well in the green range
(tested with the charger circuit-breaker off).  But I know this only
shows
voltage and is not a true indication of cranking power.  But if even
the
blower wont run, then the battery would not show in the green range.
On my
last boat (CS-30) the engine would start on position "One", "Both" or
"Two".
As I only had this boat three weeks before winter lay up, I'm not yet
familiar with this boat's electrical systems as they are all a little
different.

Either something is wrong with my Battery "One" electrical path or
position
"Two" on the big red switch is only to be used for starting the engine.
  Is
the engine meant to start on position "One" as well or is "One"
strictly
dedicated for "house" except in an emergency when you would bridge the
two
battery banks using "Both"?

p.s. I will be having a "Denaming Ceremony" and when the new name is
applied
to the hull a "Naming Ceremony".  Hopefully this will ward off the
evil
spirits and subsequent bad luck.  In the old days having women aboard
was
supposed to upset the wind gods, but my last boat never crashed into
the
dock (not enough to mark the hull anyway) or worse sunk.   Have to find
one
of those champagne bottles with a pre-scored crack so the hull is not
marked
for the Naming ceremony.  The bar will be well-stocked for both
events.
Thanks for the demaning "prayer".

Quentin Murphy
Celtic Knot #667