[C320-list] Raymarine seatalk troubleshooting

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Fri Apr 28 09:12:06 PDT 2006

  If this was the first try since a spring mast re-step my first guess
would be poor re-wiring by the yard monkeys as the mast was being
stepped because it has happened to me. The VHF connection is separate
and simple but so are many yard monkeys. If the Anchor, Running, and
Deck lights work they handled that 12v re-plugging ok. The data from the
wind vane is what was not connected for me one year and it is easy to
mess up because it is a little black box full of 'hair wires' and tiny
screws to re-attach.
  Of course both the VHF antenna connection and Wind Vane connection
could have been messed up at the masthead during mast handling also.
Stan
(formerly) Christy Leigh
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> cburti at yahoo.com 4/28/2006 11:46 AM >>>
Well...I'm with you in spirit.

My wind instrument is dead and the autopilot reads
"seatalk failure".

Depth and speed work.

VHF is dead and it did have power at the set.

My first suspect was lightning, but...

VHF antenna apears intact as well as the wind vane.

Anchor light works.

Still could be lightning, but these rule out a direct
strike.

My next test will be to open the navpod and look for a
loose wire.

Barring that there are impedence tests for the vane on
the Raymarine website.