[C320-list] FW: Re: Questions for Gerry Douglas

Fri Aug 18 06:41:16 PDT 2006

These boats have a list?!!
------Original Message------
From: Jeffrey Hare
To: Catalina 320 List
ReplyTo: catalina
ReplyTo: Catalina 320 List
Sent: Aug 18, 2006 6:23 AM
Subject: Re: [C320-list] FW: Re:  Questions for Gerry Douglas

[Sent by: c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com ]
Hi,

We can always ask..   :)

But we shouldn't be disappointed if he dodges or gives less than useful
answers to questions about any mfg issues in Largo, marketing directions
that haven't yet been anounced, etc..  This is typically considered
proprietary information, and smart businesses hold these cards close to
their chest.

We'd all like to know (but obviously not *entitled* to know) non-public
things that their competition can use against them.

Here are a few Questions:
=========================

*  I'd like to hear his side of the issue surrounding the commissioning of
Annie's boat for Australia.

*  I'd like to know if there's anything that can be done about the Main
cabin hatch crazing.  Many of the boats (especially mine) have bad crazing
in the glass around the hinge.  Can Catalina get Lewmar to address this?

*  Can he provide any recommendations pictures/etc. on rigging the single
line reefing system?  Seems that dealers are pretty much left to hose this
up on their own and bomb the list with questions on how it's supposed to
work. (Myself included) Obviously this has been a heavily discussed topic,
but rarely commented on by Catalina as far as I know.

*  The Largo factory seems to use regular tubing and hose clamps whereas
the
CA factory uses PEX and whale fittings for water system.  Are the newer
C320s going to stop using PEX now?

Perhaps he could comment on Design Change suggestions?  (who knows?)

*  (Assuming the newer boats still have the water tank valves under the
aft
cabin bunk...) How about asking why the water tank valves are still under
the aft cabin bunk when they could simplify installation, save money on
parts and make the system easier to use by mounting them under nav
station?

*  How about asking if there could be a slight design change to the Main
salon settee so that owners could use 8D batteries instead if they wanted
to.  This could both solve the power problem for the power hungry, and
port
list in one shot. The change might involve making the mold for the seat
base
about 1.5" deeper so that the battery tray could sit a little deeper and
have a tiny bit more width.

*  How about having a starting battery as a factory option?

*  How about asking if Catalina could better provide a sealed Aft cabin
locker so that clothes don't pick up the head hose smell.

Just a few thoughts for him to choose from.

-Jeff