[C320-list] Best way to bring along dinghy?

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 05:09:38 PDT 2006

I use two polyethene painters because they float and
using two keeps the dinghy centered while reducing the
likelihood of flipping. You have to take a bit of care
with the splices for the ss carbiners that clip them
to the dinghy because the stuff is so slippery. I use
bowlines in the ends and simply drop them over the aft
mooring cleats when towing.

I never leave the motor on the dinghy. I put the OB on
the rail when towing as I have had a dinghy flip and
immerse the engine in years past.

I usually back into the slip, so I simply walk the
painter to the bow and tie off there on a short lead
at those times and it will stay out of the way nicely.

In bad weather, I use the spinaker halyard to hoist it
to the foredeck where it can be secured upside down
and launched as well. If you have a bad back, use the
windlass for an assist.
cb

--- Robert Seastream <seastream at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> We just returned from a two week 'mini cruise'
> vacation of Cape Cod, to
> find that our 2006 Honda 8 HP outboard had been
> stolen from our
> inflatable dinghy on its' mooring during our
> absence.  Argh!  Since
> it's practically impossible to 'lock down' a dinghy
> and it's contents,
> we've decided the only solution is to bring our
> dinghy wherever we go,
> whether overnight or longer.  The long term solution
> is davits, so we'd
> like input on what brand is working best for most.
> The short term
> solution is towing (another knot lost!), so we'd
> like input on how/with
> what/where folks are towing their dinghys and what
> they're doing during
> docking maneuvers.  We're thinking towing behind is
> fine, but that the
> dinghy should be brought alongside whatever side
> isn't next to the dock
> prior to docking, so that the painter doesn't get
> fouled in the prop.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob 'N Doris
> 'Intuition', hull 906