[C320-list] raising a bosun's chair

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 09:46:12 PDT 2006

The ascending knots I referenced earlier are the
simplest and safest way to go. When there is no weight
on the knot it will slide up or down. As soon as there
is any pressure it will sieze like an elevator brake.

The loop goes through the lift rings on the chair and
the knot is tied around the safety halyard, which is
itself tied off securely to a winch or cleat.

You push the knot up the tied off halyard with your
hand you as you rise. If the halyard you are being
hauled up with breaks (or your helper slips), the knot
will grab and hold up the chair. When pressure is
released by pulling yourself up on the safety halyard,
the knot can be pushed down to ease you on down.

When you get comfortable with this very reliable
technique, you can tie a second knot with two loops
under the first. You put your feet in the loops and
stand. Your weight locks it and you push the upper
knot as high as you can. Then you sit and as your
weight locks the chair, you pull up the lower knot
with your toes (requires hard soled shoes). Looks sort
of like a catapillar climbing, but is very effective
if your helper is too light to be useful winching you
up.

cb

--- Koen Bennebroek <vergaar2004-catalina at yahoo.com>

Chris Burti