[C320-list] raising a bosun's chair

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Tue Aug 22 12:13:24 PDT 2006

I'd like to know that too.  One thing I can tell you where to NOT attach
it.  I tried this recently and used a snatch block attached to the
unused jib attachment point immediately aft of the headstay.  This
worked great for the first few feet up the mast.  But the lead angle
into the windlass was wrong and we quickly got an over-ride on the
windlass, stopping all progress.  I think you must use a turning block
that is slightly to starboard of centerline -- at least as far to
starboard as the anchor roller.  I'm having trouble picturing how you
use the anchor roller itself for this without chafing the halyard or
getting a jam.