[C320-list] Aqua-lift muffler question

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Fri Dec 1 05:44:42 PST 2006

Which goes to show the difference in boats.  On my '99 model the muffler
  drain is on the aft side and bow up blocking would help.  When I'm
winterizing the engine I let it run dry for a little while (no more than
30 seconds) before I start adding the antifreeze in part to help push
any remaining water out of the muffler through the exhaust.  I also let
it run dry for a bit afterwards to make sure that most of the antifreeze
I pour in goes all the way through the system.  I find that after this
only a small amount comes out of the muffler.  I don't measure it, but
it can't be more than a quart, and probably is less.

Out of curiosity, have you ever asked the club to not store bow high?  I
had a complaint one year on my last boat when they did this and I found
that some water that leaked in through an aft window ran to the back of
the boat where I couldn't easily pump it out.  It was also a pain if I
spilled liquids in the sink, which wouldn't drain either.  To top it
off, the scuppers in the cockpit of that boat were at the forward end,
causing water to accumulate in the back of the cockpit, contributing to
the previously mentioned leak.  Boats are designed to drain when sitting
on their lines, and I've never understood why some yards think its best
to block them bow up.