[C320-list] Ideas for a Future C320 annual

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 12:14:20 PST 2006

BVI Charter, now that's an interesting idea.

For what it's worth, we've chartered there twice and both times had a marvelous time.  Both times we chartered a 50+ ft. yacht with captain and gourmet mate.  It's no problem, mon.  They query you for food and booze preferences (no limit) as well as what you don't like.  You can sail the boat or let them do it.

BVI has some of the best sailing around.  The Sir Francis Drake Channel is semi-protected and is surrounded by the islands.  Scuba and snorkeling is top-notch.  One boat I was on, the Capt. was a certified master diver.  There are just a ton of really neat places to visit on land, by water, or in the water.  There are no more beautiful anchorages anywhere I know of.  There are party places like Foxey's on Jost van Dyke, pristine white sand beaches in half-moon coves, and much more.  I can't say enough about it.  Even if we don't do this as a group, I highly suggest you consider it for a future vacaiton.

On our 52' Irwin ketch, we had two couple plus Capt. and mate.  We could have had three couples.  The salon was HUGE, and air conditioned.  The cockpit was HUGE with awning.  There was windsurf board, snorkel gear, dinghy, games, DVD/TV, stereo, and more.  The bar was ALYWAYS OPEN, and the crew made the drinks.  Food was not elaborate but top-notch.  Lots of local seafood.  I think we paid about $2k per person for 4 on a yacht that accomodates 6.  Go to their website for video and pictures of the area.  (The colors in the video are terrible.  The water is a deep blue and the sky is light blue.)  If it rains, it's usually for a short time.  Regional weather can make the sailing a tad rough; but, rarely for more than a day or two.  http://www.sail-islandskipper.com/Home.htm

There are a ton of charter boats available.  Some of the catamarans w/o crew can take as many as 8-10 people.

I would suggest flying into St. Thomas where most of the US charter boats are stationed.  Local transportation can take you to the marina.  Arrangements may be made with some vessels to pick you up at another port, if more convienent (in the BVIs of course.)  There are, I think, several airports on the East Coast that fly into St. Thomas.  It's the US, people so no passports or customs, that is until you enter the BVIs where you will go through British Customs and will need a passport.

Great Fun!  We're ready to go.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River