[C320-list] Lifeline replacement

K L sfca33 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 1 07:29:22 PST 2006

Stan:

In my experience Jasco does not take the shiny finish off of fenders. But
when I last cleaned them, my fenders were only two years old. Bill is
correct, Jasco is a combination of several solvents. I use it only on a
windy day and position myself upwind of the area I am working on as a
precaution. After the Jasco I wash with soap and water then I apply some
boat wax. I'm not sure that the wax is any help but I have seen it
recommended enough times here that I just do it. I thought of trying an
experiment--waxing some fenders and not waxing others-- but couldn't figure
out how I would later distinguish the fenders that were waxed from those not
waxed. In any case it takes so little time that it doesn't matter.

A couple of years ago I did an experiment while cleaning lifelines. Some
lifelines I cleaned with Soft Scrub with Bleach and others I cleaned with
Acetone. Some I waxed after cleaning and others I didn't. Months later there
seemed to be no difference in the condition of the lifelines. They all got
dirty at the same rate. That was before I discovered Jasco.

Ken Danko
#802 Grace
San Francisco