[C320-list] Preventer

allan.field at comcast.net allan.field at comcast.net
Fri Dec 15 10:28:19 PST 2006

I wish I could say that what I do is original but it isn't.  Credit needs to go to Orlando.

There are 2 blocks on the boom for the main.  From the aft block attachment point, I hung a long shackle.  The longer the shackle the easier it is to hook onto.

I then took 2 lines (one green, the other red) and spliced a snap shackle onto one end of each line.  The snap shackles are hooked to the long shackle on the boom block attachment point.

Both lines are led all the way forward to blocks mounted on long shackles on the forward cleats; long shackles keep the blocks out of the way of docking lines.  At the base of each stanchion, I have an inboard block mounted.  At the aft stanchion where the gate is, down low I mounted a block with a cam cleat.  The lines run from the boom block attachment point to the bow, back through the stanchion blocks and all the way back to the block with the cam cleat.

Everything runs fair and when I lock the boom down through the cam cleat, I know it is secure.  I could have run the lines back to the aft cleat but wanted something that was easier and faster to use.  This method is not on-the-cheap but it is safe.

Hope this helps...

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD