[C320-list] Steering Wheel

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Mon Feb 6 21:01:53 PST 2006

All boats have a good bit of weather helm when reaching if the sails
aren't trimmed well.  I haven't noticed the 320 to be especially bad in
this regard, and is better than many boats I've sailed.  If you
experience a lot of weather helm try easing the traveller or mainsheet.
(Ease the vang some too, but don't overdo it.  You want to be able to
ease the main considerably without flogging the top of the sail.)   Make
sure the jib leads are positioned forward of where they'd be for sailing
closehauled so that the jib luffs evenly.  (This is when those
adjustable jib cars pay off.)  I can balance my boat fairly easily in
reaching conditions without much difficulty, and speed usually goes up
when I do.  C320's don't like to be pushed over on their side!  The mast
rake might make some difference in weather helm upwind, but probably not
much difference reaching.  Sail trim will be far more important than
mast rake once you crack off the wind a bit.

Of course if they've reduced the mechanical advantage of the wheel then
the boat will feel like it has more weather helm than the older models
even though it doesn't.  When comparing one boat to another you should
gauge weather helm by rudder deflection, not by pressure on the wheel.

Scott Thompson