[C320-list] New Boat- Instruments

Tbuilder at aol.com Tbuilder at aol.com
Sat Feb 11 09:22:06 PST 2006

Hi Annie, good to hear from you. The reason why I went for TackTick
instruments is that there are absolutely no wires involved. As you can imagine  my
last 320 had a pretty tough life and we did occasionally have instrument
failures due to wiring problems. Overall it is cheaper than Raymarine  kit which
would be my only alternative.

The transducers at masthead, log and depth all have wireless transmitters
and the units themselves are solar powered although they do have internal
battery back up. I will therefore have no hassle with running wiring in  funny
places. You will be aware that our boat is used — amongst other things -  for RYA
YachtMaster exams which include an element of blind navigation. This  system
means that if I wish I can literally unhook an instrument and leave the
candidate to navigate by traditional methods. On longer overnight passages I  could
even remove an instrument and take it to my bunk to monitor progress - I
think my wife might have something to say about that!! - but it shows the
flexibility.

As far as the pod setup is concerned - I am fortunate that I don't have
height problems!! - I plan on having the 4 instrument transverse pod as shown in
the latest Catalina brochure. I plan to fit Tacktick GPS, Wind and  Depth/Log
combi with a Raymarine Autopilot (with wires unfortunately). I can see  no
need for a plotter on deck but will fit a "standalone" Garmin 172C - with
internal antenna -  down below on the shelf above the chart table. This  will be
linked to a Silva 15 DSC VHF radio to give auto distress position  facilities and
a this radio also has a Navtex facility on  the screen so I wont have to get
up in the middle of the night to listen to  the weather forecast but I will be
able to read it at my leisure.

I also plan on a TackTick Master unit hardwired at chart table — it somehow
doesn't feel right to have no instrumentation at the chart table — and it does
 mean that I can keep out of the rain!

I have never been a fan of radar — quite apart from the problem of the
weight of the scanner half way up the mast. When I did the ARC last year the  radar
was never on.

Good Luck with the new boat and the business. I hope the weather is  better
in Oz than it is here — cold, wet dark and windy!

Cheers

Alec  Blanc
Lochaber Watersports
Ballachulish