[C320-list] PSS Shaft Seal

Ray Durand durand.mail at verizon.net
Thu Feb 16 18:34:24 PST 2006

I just installed the vented shaft seal version on my 320.  The installation
instructions say that you should run the vent hose to a location that is
near the centerline of the boat and at least two feet above the waterline.
I ran my vent line back towards the transom, along the same path as the
muffler exhaust hose, up the bulkhead where the aft cabin access door is,
then up near the opening for the rear/port locker.  I secured the end of the
hose to the fresh water (stern shower) valves using tie wraps.  The hose is
fairly inexpensive and for peace of mind, I think it's best to get the end
as high as possible.  At rest, the water only rises about 6 inches above the
shaft seal, but when you're heeled over, I suspect it gets higher (haven't
looked yet).  Plumbing the vent hose to a water source is recommended for
boat speeds over 12 knots.  I don't think we need to worry about that on our
boats!

Ray Durand #822