[C320-list] Are the Polars correct?

Chris Block ..._/) ....._/) cblock at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 19:19:10 PST 2006

We had our first race of the year in Austin and put 2 320's on the line!

Amore finished 2nd in her class with a rating of 169.  The winner was a non spin J/22 ......whatever.....

The Catalina 30 TM's were very close to us on the downwind legs and we owe them 20 sec per mile.  ???

Winds were 10-15 and seas were flat.

Question:

The polars from the website look like the boat should go up wind at around 6kts, but I could not get more than 5kts.

Has anyone been able to get the boat to go up wind at 6?  What setup/conditions?

FYI, Amore has the deep keel and currently (not for long) a fixed 2 blade, stock main w/Dutchman, 155 UK Tape Drive, 6 butts on the rail.

Thanks,

Chris