[C320-list] Are the Polars correct?

Peter Clancy sailorpete at msn.com
Wed Jan 18 20:06:51 PST 2006

Chris:

I don't know about the polar charts going upwind  but you should be able to
pull away from the C30's on a downwind leg.

The fixed 2-blade prop is a bit of a drag but should be factored into your
rating. Here in south Florida, the C30's always seem to have a 15 to 20
second advantage but we've never been challenged on any point of sail by
them. You may want to look at your downwind set-up. For anything close to
dead downwind we pole out the 150 on one side and set a baggy main on the
other. If you get wind shifts heading downwind you may need to switch sides
often. The 150 needs to be constantly tweaked to catch as much air as
possible. There are the other usual preparations to optimize speed,i.e., a
clean bottom; minimum weight on boat in light conditions especially (I
wouldn't necessarily have 6 people crewing in 10-15 knot conditions); and a
steady hand on the wheel. There are probably other successful downwind
techniques used by other C320 owners.

Peter Clancy
AROBAN  C320  #222
Miami, FL