[C320-list] Autohelm

Sweetwater Yacht Charters sail at sweetwater-charters.net
Wed Jan 11 10:03:14 PST 2006

We have never been able to get the Autohelm on Persistence to work
correctly. Apparently the previous owner had problems too. I have decided to
replace the unit this year. The old unit is the ST4000 (not the ST400+)
My question: I think I can get an upgrade from Raymarine to go from the
ST4000 to the ST4000+. This would be much cheaper since it would work with
the equipment already installed. Has anyone done this? Also, does anyone
have suggestions for a better system? My feeling after doing research is
that the ST4000+ is adequate, but not great. Of course, the service
department would like me to buy a nice, expensive system! I sail on the
Great Lakes (primarily Lake Michigan) so I don't need anything really heavy
duty, but we do some long distances when delivering so it can't be
light-weight either.

-Joan
 C320 #90 Persistence