[C320-list] Autohelm

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 17:42:51 PST 2006

Joan - First a story.  On Sunday evening, I sent an e-mail to Raymarine
through their website regarding the ST 4000.  The problem I had was that I
needed the proper clamps for a new wheel I bought.  At 8:30 AM the next
morning, I received a reply asking for additional info. I immediately
replied.  At 8:40 AM, I received another reply with the part number.  The
point is that after this experience, I would try to work with Raymarine
before upgrading.  I was super-impressed by the service level.

Now for your issue.  When I first bought my boat, the autohelm took me all
over the place... except where I wanted to go.  For the most part, the boat
would veer about 15-25 degrees off course to port, swing back through 15-25
degrees to starboard, and then start the cycle all over again.  I fiddled
for months with the settings.  Finally someone from this list sent along
what turned out to be the correct settings for the ST 4000 for the C320.
After using the settings, I have never had another problem.  But again, if I
did, I would try and work with Raymarine first just because they are so
incredibly responsive.

Following are the settings that worked for Sea Shadow.

An important setting is drive type = 2.

 Calibration Lock             OFF
     Pilot Type               4000whl
     Rudder Gain                 2
     Response                    2
     Turn Rate Limit            20
     Align Rudder               0
     Rudder Limit               20
     Off Course Alarm            20
     AutoTack                   100
     AutoTrim                    3
     Drive Type                  2
     Variation                   0
     AutoAdapt                  nth
     Latitude                   The correct latitude for the location of
                                      the boat.
     Rudder Damp               4
     Cruise Speed              A

Good luck and let us know if this works!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808