[C320-list] Burping PSS shaft seal

Richard A. Walker dickwalker at att.net
Mon Jan 16 15:28:09 PST 2006

I always "burp" after the diver does the bottom.  The reason is that hi air
displaces air in shaft tube and therefore increases the friction.  When this
is needed at times you get a grinding sound.

I put a small sponge under the seal and move again the spring pressure aft
about 1/2 inch, then release.  This can be a quick action and about 1/8 cup
of water comes in the hull.  The sponge catches the small amount of water.

Happy Burping.................

Dick Walker
C-320 (687) WindWalker II
740 Olive Ave.