[C320-list] power outage with fridge on question

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Tue Jan 17 18:21:04 PST 2006

Chris,

I'd also be interested in a solution that will protect the batteries. Maybe
Jeff Hare has a suggestion.

I've stopped storing any perishables in the freezer because the fridge shuts
down a couple times each season.  I'm not sure if it is because of a thermal
cutout at the compressor or a voltage drop due to the battery charger
malfunctioning. When I get back to the boat after a few days the evaporator
is defrosted, ice has melted and drained out of the ice bag, but all else,
including battery voltage, looks normal. The harbor doesn't appear to have
had any power outages. Sometimes I have to flip the fridge breaker to
restart the unit, sometimes it has already restarted itself. I hope the
problem is the thermal cutout and not that the batteries are drained and
recharged while I'm away.

The Cold Machine manual says that if the fridge does not see at least 11
volts at startup, the startup is aborted. Unfortunately the battery is at
50% at 12.18 volts.

JeffC