[C320-list] Noise Problem with Perkins Engine

Greg Battersby gjbattersby at probatter.com
Sun Jul 9 08:23:26 PDT 2006

This is my first year with a 320, having previously had a Catalina 30 and an
Ericson 26 both of which had inboards.  It’s a ’95 320 with a Perkins
inboard and is, by far, the loudest engine we’ve ever had.  On one long run
with no wind where we were running the engine for a few hours, it got so bad
that we actually closed up the cabin which did somewhat reduce the noise
level.

Is this problem unique to our boat or are others also experiencing it?  Any
suggestions for eliminating or minimizing it?  One thought was to insulate
the engine compartment with sound deadening insulation.  Any thoughts or
suggestions would be appreciated.

Greg Battersby

Windeage #210

1995 C-320