[C320-list] FW: Re: ProMariner Problem

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Mon Jul 10 13:10:50 PDT 2006

Jeff,

The Xantrex Truecharge 20+ has the capability to charge 3 banks (although Catalina just runs the wires for 2 legs). Total output is 20 amps. All 3 banks must be the same battery type (chemistry) because

the 3 outputs are NOT independently VOLTAGE regulated. There is diode protection on each leg however, but the rated charging current (20A) is divided among the 3 banks based upon their level of discharge (I assume meaning their voltage in the bulk stage and then based upon the amp draw when in the constant-voltage, absorption stage). Of interest, the final or float stage can be turned off in case the battery manufacturer recommends against it or you are concerned about longterm, unattended charging. In that case, the charger monitors battery voltage and kicks back on at a sustained reading under 12.5vDC or after 21 days (whichever comes first).

I once read a suggestion that any unused charger leg be wired in parallel with a used leg rather than be left open. The Xantrex manual does not seem to call for that, however.

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC

http://members.cox.net/mielen/