[C320-list] FW: Re: Water Puification

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Thu Jul 20 14:17:03 PDT 2006

Len,

We use the water from these tanks for washing only. Even so, lately I've started a treatment program, mainly because the ambient water temp is mid-80's. Whenever top off the tanks, I add liquid bleach to achieve 5ppm chlorine. This amounts to 8ml for the aft tank and 10ml for the V-berth tank.

The bleach could be diluted 1:9 with water to make a solution easier to transport and measure. Then you would add 80ml and 100ml.

Granted the chlorine won't stick around forever, but this should address some bacteria and viruses, probably not any parasites.

Reference: http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile49b.stm

By the way, the chlorine level for sanitizing referenced in the owners manual and recently by Dave Anderer works out to 50ppm chlorine. That should do the trick but you'll probably want to flush it out after several days. I plan on that treatment annually.

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC

http://members.cox.net/mielen/

From: Len [mailto: aqua5len at gmail.com]

Subject: Re: [C320-list] Hot water tank

Do you recommend action if boat used year 'round and water seems OK?