[C320-list] Raymarine Autopilot failure

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 20:09:30 PDT 2006

Ben,

  I'm far from an autopilot expert but given your description I had the following idea.

  When the autopilot is in standby mode, you can use the +10 and -10 buttons (and probably +1 and -1) to move the drive unit in the selected direction.  +10 moves it one way, -10 move it the other way.  I think that each time you hit the button it moves it another increment in that direction.  If the drive unit won't go left of center you could probably see that.

   -bill

Ben Waltuck <benw at sun.com> wrote:
  The autopilot is one of my favorite toys on the boat since it allows me
to move around and play with my other toys on the boat.
(raymarine st6000 wheel drive)
I was out for a sail this morning, and my autopilot will not turn to the
right.
I can engage the unit, and it will make steering corrections to the
left, but never turns the wheel back clockwise, so I eventually get far
enough off course that it alarms.
Given that it does turn left and is aware of going off-course, it seems
that the control unit is good and the drive unit is bad.

Do the drive motors have a limited lifespan? I ask because West Marine
sells a replacement motor drive:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/68043/10001/734/628/3
Has anyone else had their motor burn out, and did it burn out in one
direction only?
Is this the kind of thing worth sending to raymarine for out-of-warranty
repair? A new drive unit is $500, so replacing it wouldn't be the end
of the world, and I'd rather not be without the unit for several weeks
while they fix it..

What's most puzzling to me is that there are 2 wires that connect to the
motor drive unit on the wheel.. so I assume that it's just reverse
polarity to turn different directions. Based on that assumption, it
makes no sense to me how a motor can function in direction but not the
other.
With the power to the unit off, I can engage the unit and spin it both
ways against the friction of the motor.. so I think I've ruled out a
mechanical blockage.

Has anyone had the drive unit fail on their autopilot, and did it fail
in only one direction?

I did get the "low batt" error message once when I was far off course,
so I'm wondering if that means that it was "trying" to turn right..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks