[C320-list] Perkins water pump help

David J Gleason djgleason1 at juno.com
Tue Jul 4 19:42:07 PDT 2006

Mike:

I assume you are referring to the raw water pump on the front of the
engine driven by the V belt that also drives the alternator.  This pump
circulates raw water (lake or ocean water) that is used to cool the
engine.  It circulates raw water through the heat exchanger and out the
exhaust.  There is another water pump, like on an automobile, that
circulates the antifreeze solution through the heat exchanger and the
water heater.  Both these pumps are essential for the operation of the
Perkins.  You could by pass the water heater if needed, but you cannot
eliminate either of the pumps without overheating.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150