[C320-list] Perkins Diesel

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:28:39 PDT 2006

My Perkins M30, 1994, runs at 180 on the nose.  Two weeks ago we left on a week-long cruise and I noticed that it was running at 200.  I thought that unusual; but, the over temp alarm did not come on.  I kept a watch on it and it was steady at 200 deg. F.  Then, on the last day on our way home, the engine overheated.  My first look was at the strainer that was clear.  Then, I pulled the impeller.  Sure enough, there were 3 blades with cracks at the base of the blade where the blade joins the hub.  A quick replacement and we were on our way.  Oh, and yes, the water temp was then at 180.

Keep in mind that engines with only raw water cooling tend to run cooler, so I'm told.  Others with raw water cooling tell me they run around 160-165.  Others, with fresh water cooling (those with a heat exchanger,) confirm that 180 is typical.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay