[C320-list] Bow Thruster

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 12:20:11 PDT 2006

Sorry for confusion by sloppy wording.  The slips at TBM are all doubles in that there are two boats per pier separated by a stand-alone pylon.  Assuming bow-in, one boat of the pair has a port tie to the pier with the pylon on the starboard aft quarter (me).  The boat to starboard of that 1st boat has the pylon on its port aft quarter and the pier to starboard.  The 12 ft wide refers to 12 ft of water between the pier and the pylon.  Our piers are fixed height concrete and the pylon is rusted iron.  I envied the Marina Del Rey slips which were floating, single docks shaped like home plate (well the ground around home-plate actually) nestling our babies in a crib of blankies.

  My port tie means that prop-walk brings me toward the pier when I reverse to stop momentum and that's good.  I had a senior moment re: my port tie thinking the the prop-walk hurt rather than helped but I was thinking of our gas dock (where the prop-walk always pulls me away from the dock so I'm gentle with reverse).  The port turn just means that the turn is wider and less flexible than if it were a starboard turn.  It's more of a hassle when backing out because I need to turn to port to leave down the fairway and the prop-walk when backing is trying to turn the bow to starboard.

   -bill

Pat Moriarty <patm at psiurethanes.com> wrote:
  I don't follow you if you have a port turn that is ok but if your
slip is12 ft wide why is it a port tie? I have a starboard turn and a
port prop walk so I have a little problems with cross winds half the
year and the other half is ok. We have the same basic layout of
marinas but not sure I even have 50 foot. Will agree that when I got
to move into a 14 ft slip it took the stress way down with the 30MPH
cross wind.

Pat #130