[C320-list] Bow Thruster

resloat at comcast.net resloat at comcast.net
Wed Jul 12 14:06:05 PDT 2006

Look up fill and turn or pivot turn maneuvers on Google.  You will find various sailboat sites to show how to pivot a sail boat with right hand propeller movement in a little more than a boat length.  If you don't have a lot of wind, at very slow speed (less than .25 knots) crank the wheel to starboard and engage reverse at idle on the throttle.  When the boat starts to move backwards engage forward keeping at idle.  When the boat starts to go forward, engage reverse maintaining idle.  Cycle this process untill you are turned around.  Lots of wind will not allow this subtle maneuver to work.  This takes advantage of prop walk in reverse to move the stern to the left and the propeller wash off the rudder in forward to also move the stern to the left.

Once learned this is a great way to pass time away on windless days and impress those you don't hit with your boat.

Bob Sloat
Savannah #894
From: Orlando.Duran at AveryDennison.com