[C320-list] Starting Battery Question

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 16 09:04:43 PDT 2006

For some years now, the ABYC has recommended a multiple switch approach to battery master switching vs the traditional 1-2-Both-Off switch.  Blue Sea implemented this (2001?) with their 8080 battery switch.  I installed this on my C25 with a battery combiner, and loved it.

Blue Sea now has an even better solution (see below) for the 3-battery, 2-bank solution discussed on this list.  This on-off switch which is a compatible replacement "Fits all Perko and Guest low amperage battery switch hole patterns," and is an even better solution when used in conjunction with a combiner (BatteryLink ACR.)

The switch comes with or without a "Combine Batteries" position.  When used with the ACR and the optional switch you won't need the "Combine Batteries" option on the switch as the ACT remote switch gives a combine option as well as the ability to turn off the ACR or keep in "automatic" operation.

This solution when used with the 2 4Ds in parallel with a separate starting battery is the simplist imaginable.  When you come onboard, just turn the switch to on.  The ACR insures both banks are charged when a charge current is present.  Yet, you have the ability to combine both banks for an emergency start.  (You will probably want to wire the altenator field to the starting battery to prevent disconnecting the alt. when under load.)

The arguements that Jeff makes re. the 3-batt/2-bank solution are compelling.  The concept that the larger house bank will last longer under the same use is interesting.  But the best selling point is having a dedicated starting bank and a BIG house bank.  I'll be implementing this as my next major project.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay

Blue Sea Info:
The Dual CircuitT Battery Switch automates the charging of two battery banks when coupled with the Blue Sea Systems' CL-Series BatteryLinkT Automatic Charge Relay (ACR). The combination creates a complete battery management system of isolated battery circuits, emergency parallel functions, and automated charge management.

See this: https://resources.myeporia.com/company_57/Dual%20Circuit%20Battery%20Switch.pdf

When connected to an optional ON-OFF-ON switch the CL-Series BatteryLinkTM ACR can be turned off, set to automatic, or manually combined. http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Product_id=53476