[C320-list] Refrig

Stan ola7442000 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:57:19 PDT 2006

Just a clarification.  FREON is a trademarked name for refrigerant.  Dupont
owns the trademark.  RACON is another trademarked name for refrigerant.
R12, a type of refrigerant, was banned by the US Govt. some years ago.  It's
still smuggled (yes smuggled) from Mexico.  R12 was a popular refrigerant
for car systems until R134 replaced it.  FREON has become the generic name
for all refrigerants.  I doubt that any refrigeration system less than 5-8
years old uses R12.

To be sure just check the nameplate.  It should list the refrigerant type
and how much is required.  The quantity will be in pounds or ounces.

Also, if a schraeder valve is not present on the unit a bullet valve can be
easily installed to add refrigerant.  However, refrigerant doesn't wear
out.  If it's low, it leaked.  Find the leak, then recharge the system.  If
R12 is the refrigerant, there are conversion kits that allow a "green" type
of refrigerant to be used.  Although often not at the same efficiency.

Stan
"Our Little Amusement" #744

--
Stan