[C320-list] A/C on Portable Generator

Peter Clancy SAILORPETE at msn.com
Fri Jul 21 18:52:55 PDT 2006

In the Bahamas with summer temps in the mid-90's and humidity close to 100%, we've used the 4,800 btu hatch-mount Cruiseair A/C unit to sleep quite comfortably on AROBAN. Granted, it takes a couple  hours or more to cool down the interior and it's of little use in direct, daytime sunlight. But, the only time we ever need A/C is for sleeping. And, the rather long cooling cycle does effectively remove moisture from the air. Believe it or not, crew sleeping in the salon or v-berth usually have to adjust the temp around 3-4 AM as the cabin gets too cold! Cruiseair now makes a 7,000 btu portable A/C which should cool a little faster. When not in use, we store the A/C unit in the port lazarette.

Peter Clancy