[C320-list] FW: Docking

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 08:06:27 PDT 2006

--- Adam Weiner wrote:

> Yes, head in straight.  You normally put your car
> into a space face front, why not put the pointing
> end in first.

I am saying all of this with an e-grin, but body
language never shows through the text. This is
intended to be a lesson for those less experienced
sailors, so some of it is phrased emphatically for
effect. It is a reflection of my experiences, I am
still learning and so it should be taken with a grain
of salt. Please, everyone, take this in the kindest
sense.

Yes we drive into a space...and then we back out...so
what's the difference which order? If we have a load
of heavy stuff in the trunk we probably will back in.

I prefer to eliminate the need to climb over lifelines
and carry loads of coolers, groceries, beer and sea
bags from the bow to the stern negotiating a narrow
path laden with traps for the incautious. My less
experienced guests will fare better on boarding as
well.

First, it is best to practice on windless days and as
often as possible. Second, only proceed as fast as you
will be willing to hit a solid object.

Our boats, being built with what is essentially a fin
keel and a huge rudder, back as good as any single
screw inboards that I have helmed in over forty years
of messing around in boats...and better than
most...once you learn how.

I firmly believe that all this discussion about prop
walk and inefficient props when talking about backing
a C-320 is just so much hooey. Want to see what prop
walk is all about?...Try backing an inboard ski boat
with huge prop and tiny high speed rudder...or,
backing a full keel sailboat with pintle hung rudder
and with a prop aperture...now you're talking prop
walk.

I hate to be so blunt because text makes it sound so
rude, but if you are having problems backing a C-320,
it is likely to be the result of either a lack of
experience, poor technique or a badly fouled prop
(strong cross currents excepted, in which case
everyone is likely to need a spring line to get where
they want to go in reverse). I also confess that I
haven't backed a C-320 with a two-bladed fixed prop,
so I'm not qualified to comment there although it
still shouldn't be a huge problem.

I have a factory three-bladed prop and I almost always
back my boat into virtually any slip and have done so
in strong cross winds (up to 25 knots) without any
problem and in cross currents with a little help from
a spring line. When Commitment doesn't move smartly in
reverse, I know it is time to scrape the prop clean.
Other than that...

Most problems in backing that I have observed, come
from a lack of good technique and a lack of patience.
Usually too much rudder too soon.

Time and again on the 90 degree swing and back
maneuver, I observe a captain throw the engine into
reverse, look over the shoulder and start steering
before the boat has stopped moving forward.

Guess what, that action swings the stern just like
prop walk and you are out of alignment before you even
get going. If you don't even look back until you start
moving back, you will avoid this problem

Most marinas do not have enough channel width to get
up enough speed in reverse if you do a 90 right in
front of your slip in any serious cross wind. By the
time you even get the boat stopped, the wind is
tarting to blow off the bow. The reason the bow blows
off first, is because both the keel and the rudder
(which slow lateral movement because of drag) are
located aft of the boats center of moment.

By heading downwind in the channel past the slip and
backing into the wind, you get water flowing across
the rudder and get control while the wind is not
working against you. Once you are moving in reverse
and water is flowing across these big rudders, any
prop walk is completely negated and you overcome the
effect of the wind on the bow. By the same token, if
you put the rudder hard over, it will stall, lose
steering ability and act as a brake.

When you turn into the slip from the far side of the
channel, aim for the outer windward piling and turn in
just before hitting it. The wind will help keep you
off of it. Pick up your spring and bow line at the
cockpit, secure the spring and walk the bow line
forward to control the bow as you slow down. Slowing
down will allow the wind to push the bow off and must
be countered.

It is very important that you do not pull on the bow
line any more than is absolutely necessary to keep the
bow from falling off in the wind and then only pull
laterally. Hauling on this line in an excess of
enthusiasm and desire to 'help' will result in
swinging the stern when the helmsman least needs that
to happen or stopping too far out in the slip.

Since I frequently sail solo, I leave my lines on the
pilings. I use a bowline looped on the piling and have
pre-adjusted the length so that the eye can be dropped
over the deck cleats at the proper distance.

I throw the tranny into neutral as I pick up the
spring line, drop it on the cleat then take the
windward bow line forward and secure it, and lastly
the secure windward stern line while throwing the
engine into forward and goosing it a bit to avoid
straight or you'll swing the stern).

On a 'good' day I can pick up the lines by hand. On a
so-so day, I need to use the boat hooks that I have
readied prior to entering the channel. On a bad day, I
wrestle with the safety line between me and my
slip-mate and fend off with boat hooks while silently
cursing my poor judgment and impatience.

I say silently...because I have learned that shouting
will only attract more witnesses to my ignominy like
flies to roadkill.

I am trying to teach the Admiral the trick on windless
days when she is willing. My logic is that it is
better to position my huge butt on the lines and her
tiny one at the helm on windy days. In her case, it is
primarily a lack of confidence that impedes her
success, but after 33 years I have learned that it is
better not to push the issue, stay friends and keep it
all fun.

She also helps me to keep perspective when, on a
'good' day with dock full of admiring spectators, she
observes how much she likes it when I occasionally
make the situation appear as if I might have some
meager clue as to what I'm trying to do.

Best Regards and Fair Winds
cb