[C320-list] Non-wood Hatch Boards

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Wed Jun 21 06:12:32 PDT 2006

John,
    As the paragraph from their website pasted in below states gluing is not the way Starboard was designed to be fastened. I think I read elsewhere that good old 'Crazy Glue' from way back when has the right chemical to make the bond but can't find the reference.... or that may have been for the Walker Bay.... another soft plastic marvel. I use SS screws or  bolts with Boat Life Caulk and the bond and its looks will long out live me. As for "warping and crazing" mentioned by someone I have never seen either in the 10 years I have been living with Starboard products. Hard plastics 'craze' (tiny cracks) soft does not. Because it is soft, it does easily abrade so something like hatchboards that get shuffled around a lot end up getting scuffed up so the result would resemble crazing and be hard to keep clean. The drink/binocular holder I installed 6 years ago looks the same as it did when new with a 0-90 degree yearly temperature shift and I'm by no means a clean freak. They are certainly not warped and crazed - neither were the stern perch seats. As for bending out of the hatchboard slot I suppose that is possible depending on the thickness used and the body you throw at it. I'll be cutting some 3' x 3" Starboard boards from 3/4" stock for a project I'm working on and I'll do a little bending test by standing on them with my 170 lbs to see for myself how much they bend.
<<"Because King StarBoard sheet products are designed to resist water and grime, they cannot be painted and the use of adhesives is not recommended. If gluing is absolutely necessary, products such as 3M's Scotch-Weld DP-8005 and Lord Corporation's 7540-AB have been used with some success.">>
   As you can see I am a big fan of Starboard because of its flexible strength that really impressed me when I made some hinges for my dingy lift on my c320 out of ½" Starboard after the first attempt with 3/4" plywood Exploded from the twisting torque
 - I wouldn't even consider Teak because of the single grain - splintering.
Stan
(formerly) Christy Leigh
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> John Van Vessem <jvanvessem at sbcglobal.net> 6/20/2006 11:16 pm >>>
Stanley do you happen to know what kind of glue you use on starboard?
John Van Vessem
Sojourn 645
Vallejo Yacht Club